How Do You Prevent Mice?
While it’s important to know how to get rid of mice, it’s also important keep mice out in the future. Indoors and out, there are a number of preventative steps you can take to make your home less hospitable to mice and decrease the chance they’ll return.
Perform upkeep to make outdoor areas less inviting.
- Add squirrel guards to bird feeders and hang them away from your house.
- Keep outdoor cooking areas and grills clean and free of food debris.
- Locate compost bins and woodpiles at least 100-feet away from the home.
- Store grains and animal feed in thick plastic or metal containers with tight lids.
- Do not leave animal feed or water dishes out overnight.
- Elevate garbage cans, hay and woodpiles at least 12-inches off the ground.
- Cut back shrubs and low branches within 8-feet of the house.
- Keep grass cut short within 20-feet of the home.
Rethink food storage.
- Keep food in airtight containers made of metal or thick plastic.
- Do not leave produce out on counters or tables.
- Do not leave pet food or water out overnight.
- Consider limiting food consumption to one area of the home.
- Clean up spilled food right away.
- Wash dishes and cooking utensils immediately after use.
- Store trash and food waste in rodent-proof containers and empty frequently.
- Clean indoor garbage containers frequently with soap and water.
- Vacuum regularly to ensure no stray crumbs are left in carpets or rugs.
- Discard items mice may use for nesting materials, such as newspapers and old magazines.Source